Dr. Margaret Read MacDonald
"MacDonald is a grand dame of storytelling." ...School Library Journal
- Workshops, school visits, and festivals in: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico; Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Swaziland; Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia; Austria, Belgium, Germany, Czechoslovakia, France, Hungary, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Poland, Republic of Georgia, Spain, Switzerland; Brunei, China, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia (including Borneo), Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand; Australia, New Zealand, US and Canada.
- Ph.D. Folklore, Indiana University; Master of Educational Communications, University of Hawaii; Master of Library Science, University of Washington.
- Has taught storytelling at the University of Washington Information School and Lesley University.
- Children's Librarian since 1965: San Francisco Public; Hawaii State Library Bookmobile; Singapore American School; Fairfield Methodist Girl's School, Singapore; Mountain-Valley Library System (Children's Consultant); Montgomery County Maryland; King County Library System (1979-2002).
- Author of over 60 books and audios on storytelling and folklore topics.
Award and Honors
- Fulbright Scholar to Mahasarakham University Thailand.
- Talking Leaves Literary Award, established in 2001 by the National Storytelling Network to honor those who "have had a major influence and force in the literary body of storytelling." .
- Leadership Award, National Storytelling Network
- MRM is former board member of NSN
- Outstanding Author & Storyteller Award 2001-2002, Washington Organization for Reading Development (IRA)
- Aesop Accolade for Mabela the Clever
- Parent's Choice Awards for Mabela the Clever and Fat Cat
- Storytelling World Awards for numerous books.
- Sharjah World Book Fair Award 2010 for How Many Donkeys: An Arabic Counting Tale.
Print and Net Bios
- Something About the Author, v. 94. Pp142-145. Gale Research, 1998.
- Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series, v. 56 Gale Research, 1998.
- Contemporary Authors, v.110 . Gale Research, 1984.
- Storytellers: A Biographical Directory of 120 English-Speaking Performers Worldwide by Corki Miller and Mary Ellen Snodgrass, McFarland, 1998.
- Lengthy interview about the work of a children's librarian as author at: www.ravenstonepress.com/libwritrm.html
- For audio interview with MRM: www.storyteller.net/tellers/mreadmacdonald
View or download a copy of MRM's resume.
Microsoft Word Version
Adobe Acrobat Version